- Use a size 9 for Very Lightweight Fabrics, like Chiffon, Lace, Organdy, or Tulle.
- Use a size 11 or 12 for Lightweight Fabrics like Chambray, Gingham,Satin, Lawn, Single Knits, Jersey,Thin Leather, or Suede.
- Use a size 14 for Medium-weight Fabrics like most of your quilting cottons or Flannel, Velour, Broadcloth, Linen, Velvet, Double Knits, Vinyl, or some Leathers or Suede.
- Use a size 16 for Heavy-weight Fabrics including Denim, Sailcloth, Fake Fur, and thick Leathers.
- Use a size 18 for Very Heavy Fabrics like Canvas, Duck and some Upholstery fabrics.
Rule 2.2: Pick the right type of needle for the fabric. Basically:
- Woven fabric: Universal needles or Sharps
- Knits: Ball-point needles
- Leathers: Wedge-point needles (AKA leather needles)
- Most topstitching: Topstitching needles
Rule 3: Make sure your needle is inserted properly.
Any questions, refer to your sewing machine manual.