Thursday, December 8, 2011

Simple Pillows

Here’s a simple facelift for your couch—pillow covers!

101_1174

I like to make simple envelope pillow covers.  Here’s how:

1.  Measure your pillow.  You’ll need to know the length and width.

101_1183

2.  Do a little math.  This pillow measured 11 x 15 inches.

  • Front pillow piece:  You need 1 rectangle.  Add 1/2 inch to the length and 1/2 inch to the width.  For this pillow, I used 1 rectangle measuring 11 1/2 x 15 1/2 inches.  
  • Back pillow pieces:  You need 2 rectangles.  The width will be the same as the front piece.  For the length of each piece, divide the length of the pillow by 2 and add 3 1/2 inches.  My 2 rectangles measured  11 1/2 x 11 inches.

101_1157

3.  Hem one long edge of each of the back pillow pieces.

101_1159

4.  Stack your fabric like this:

  • Front piece right-side up.
  • Back pieces wrong-side up, hem toward the middle.

101_1160 101_1161

5.   Stitch all the way around the pillow with 1/4 inch seam allowances.

101_1162

6.  Trim the corners, turn your case right side out, and press it well.

101_1163

7.  Slip it on your pillow.

101_1169

A few notes: 

--This envelope pillow will work for any rectangular/square pillow.  Just measure your pillow and do the same math you did above. 

--If you are worried about the back overlap gaping, you can add more than 3 1/2 inches to each back piece, or just attach a small piece of Velcro to either side!

--Embellish away!  I try to remember to embellish the front before I put my pillows together.  You can paint, piece, add ribbon or ric rac, anything you want, just as long as the front finished pieces measures 1/2 inch long and 1/2 inch wider than your pillow.

1 comment:

charlotte's menagerie said...

I don't know why I just found your blog site. Making pillows is fun. Anyway, we have several interests in common. I also sew, but right now my main hobbies are keeping Kennedy while Bridget works and tending to the mini urban farm. Have you seen my video of Kennedy playing with my new kid Shakespeare? It's on the post "Billy Shakespeare Meets His Family."

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I will likely be ordering another chicken coop soon. I have 2 bunnies I bought for Chase and Connor and I'm getting tired of cleaning their cage in the house.