Monday, December 5, 2011

1 Skirt, 6 Ways

big skirt post

I love a good TNT (Tried And True) pattern.  The basic idea is this:  find a pattern you like, make it fit and the add (or subtract) design details to create the garments you want.

In my 1 Skirt, 3 Ways class, I start with the essential, flattering-to-everyone A-line skirt. I use McCalls 3341 during the class:

M3341

Using this pattern, I made this skirt, just as the pattern instructed. (For a review of the pattern, please see my review on PR.)

100_7821

The easiest way to tweak a skirt is to take it from fitted to an elastic-waist gathered skirt by leaving out the darts and placing the center back on the edge of the paper eliminating the center back seam. I also added a little extra at the top so I could make a casing for my elastic waist. Here’s skirt #2:

100_7824

(sorry about the crooked picture)

Skirt # 3 was altered to straighten it to a pencil shape, add pleats and a waist band.  You can get the details in my PR review.

100_7820

Skirt # 4 was made like Skirt #2.  I did add a little extra fabric by placing the “PLACE ON FOLD” mark about 1 inch from the fold.

100_7813

You can read the process for Skirt #5 on the PR review.

100_7814

Skirt #6 was made from a cotton lawn.  I loved the way the fabric draped, and that inspired me to make the ruffle. This skirt is lined with a rayon lining and has an elastic, gathered waist.

100_7810

No comments: