Here’s a quick and easy Christmas sewing idea: Coffee Cozies to protect your fingers from that hot cup of latte you just grabbed at your favorite coffee shop.
To make them:
- Buy a drink from your favorite coffee shop.
- Enjoy your coffee.
- Before you throw the cup in the trash, snatch that handy little cardboard cup-sleeve and tear it apart at the seam.
- Trace it for your pattern. I chose to add about 1 inch to the height of mine.
- Cut out your pattern twice: once in fleece and and once in a really cute cotton.
- Cut a 3 x 3 square in a cute coordinating fabric. (Raid your scraps!)
- Place your cotton and your fleece right sides together and stitch all the way around, leaving about 2 inches unstitched for turning.
- Trim your corners and turn it right side out.
- Press, folding in the hem on the unstitched section.
- Top stitch around the finished edges, securing the opening.
- Now for your 3 x 3 square: Fold under 1/4 inch on 3 sides and 1/2 inch on one side.
- Top stitch the 1/2 inch hem in place.
- Center your square on your new cup sleeve and top stitch on remaining 3 sides.
- Add a button for cuteness.
- Stitch your two short edges together to shape this flat piece into a sleeve.
- Slip it on your favorite travel mug and enjoy another cup of coffee!